Материал: English for Law Students. 2 year. Part 2 - Учебное пособие(Власов Н.М.)
Предмет: Иностранные языки
Unit 8 revision
A1*. Name the crime (12 points)
1. unlawful premeditated killing of a human being by a human being –
2. the targeted killing of a public figure –
3. taking money or property by a person with whom it has been entrusted such as an employee or agent –
4. entering a building unlawfully with intent to steal valuable property –
5. the state of having two (legal or illegal) spouses simultaneously; a second marriage–
6. entry to another's property without right or permission 7. unlawful killing without intent to kill –
8. the crime of betraying one’s government, providing aid and comfort to the enemy –
9. a crime of setting a fire with intent to cause damage –
10. criminal offense of making false statements under oath –
11. seizing control of a vehicle by the use of force –
12. the crime of making, adapting, or imitating objects, statistics, or documents with the intent to deceive –
A2*. Sort out the words from the box according to their meaning into the following categories (15 points):
industrial espionage; cyberstalking; fraudster; assault; racketeering; homicide; thief; trafficking; identity theft; passing bad check; loan sharking; pickpocket; malware; insider trading; rape
A. crimes against persons: B. computer crimes:
C. organized crimes: D. business crimes:
E. someone who commits crimes:
A3*. Translate the sentences (8 points).
1. The jury that held Simpson liable consisted of six men and six women,
ranging in age from mid-20s to mid-70s.
2. He agreed the team had infringed the defendants' rights when they wrote a book on the case.
3. As a lawyer, he was often the last good person that evil-doers met on their way to prison.
4. Nearly 200 breaches of the rules have been reported.
5. The villagers pilfered stones from ancient ruined cities to build their houses.
6. They admitted counterfeiting documents.
7. Democrats have always been concerned about the abuse of power, not petty larceny.
8. The prosecutor said that Mr. Smith had had a long record of burglary and assault.
A4**. Give the explanations of your own for the following (8 points)
1) blackmail 2) vandalism 3) smuggling 4) desertion –
5) shop-lifting 6) piracy 7) bribery 8) kidnapping -
A5**. Put the words from the box into the gaps (10 points). Ignorance, premeditated, felony, vagrancy, decency, misdemeanor, ransom, malice, intercept, harrassment
1. Other female officers have testified that they also suffered in the department.
2. Alfred beat his children for even the smallest
3. There was some evidence that she was in complete power of attorney and of her power of sale.
4. The maximum penalty for imprisonment.
murder is death or life
5. The film was banned on the grounds of public .
6. Irvin is on probation after pleading no contest in July to a charge of cocaine possession.
7. It is a federal crime to intentionally or to disclose its contents.
8. The kidnappers were demanding a
a telephone conversation
9. The cap seeks to limit the damages imposed to punish a defendant
found to have acted with .
10. The growing numbers of the poor were involved in begging, and theft, all of which led to repressive reactions.
A6**. Choose the correct items to reconstruct the text (10 points)
It is generally agreed that the essential elements of a crime are voluntary action or failure to act and a certain state of 1) brain/mind/head. Failure to act includes not doing something an individual is required to do by 2)
law/court/trial, such as file an income tax form or get a driver's license before 3) administering/ operating/ exercising an automobile.
It has long been said that ignorance of the law is no 4) sorry/ pardon/
excuse, and criminal-law systems generally recognize this principle. It is no
5) defense/ deterrence/ deficiency for a person to say he was unaware that
what he did was against the law. Behind this is the 6) disposition/ supposition/ suspension that criminal acts may be recognized as harmful and immoral by any reasonable adult. It is generally recognized that persons suffering from 7) insane/rationale/mental defects are not responsible for their actions. In most countries being drunk is not treated as a mental 8) incapacitation/ incapacity /inability. Russian law is especially hard on those who have committed offenses while 9) duing/under/behind the influence of alcohol. In other nations, by contrast, such offenses have been dealt with relatively lightly. The law recognizes that the use of even deadly force may be justified under some circumstances. Such 10) special/ premeditated/ liable circumstances include cases of self-defense, including the use of force in defense of others, by law-enforcement agents, or in defense of property.
A7***. Odd one out (7 points).
A8*** Translate the text into English (5 points vocabulary, 5 points grammar).
ограбление поезда» (Great Train Robbery). Для совершения ограбления преступники воспользовались элементарным приемом, просто сменив сигнал семафора. Поезд остановился, грабители ударили машиниста по
голове и забрали деньги. В ограблении участвовало 15 человек и длилось оно всего 20 минут. Источником вдохновения для грабителей послужили истории о великих ограблениях на американском "Диком Западе". Банду Рейнольдса постигла общая судьба грабителей поездов
— один из 11 бандитов попался и выдал всех остальных. Один из
участников банды, Ронни Биггс ухитрился бежать из заключения в 1965 году и, прихватив часть украденных денег, покинул Великобританию. Биггс долгие годы открыто жил в Бразилии, которая не выдавала Британии преступников, и даже записывал синглы с английскими рокерами. Биггс вернулся в Англию только в 2001 году, желая умереть на родине, и был немедленно водворен в камеру. Преступной знаменитости уже 71 год, но, формально, ему все еще предстоит отсидеть 28 лет срока.
-----------------------------------------------------------почтовый вагон – mail coach/ post office car окрестить/ быть названным – to tag/ to be tagged as сигнал семафора – semaphore signal
выдать кого-л. – give away/ betray/ extradite
Самые популярные книги