Материал: English for Law Students. 2 year. Part 2 - Учебное пособие(Власов Н.М.)
Предмет: Иностранные языки
Unit 8 revision
A1.* For each word in the box A find the synonym in the box B and write them out as a pair (10 points).
Capital punishment, imprisonment, homicide, disposition, felon, brutal, inborn, petty, evolve, condemn
Develop, criminal, violent, incarceration, death penalty, inherited, stigmatize, minor, murder, inclination
A2. * Complete the sentences using the words in the box (10 points).
a) advocate b) deter c) deprived d) burden e) cell f) pillory g) insane h) perverse i) corrective j) parole
1. He spent a night in the
at the local police station.
2. The government has introduced country's serious criminal situation.
measures to deal with the
3. Those who have to suffer.
doctor-assisted suicide say the terminally ill should not
4. Daniel Defoe was put in the
as punishment for libel.
5. He was released on
after serving two years.
6. A lot of children have been
of a normal home life.
7. The security camera was installed to
people from stealing.
8. Sadistic people derive
pleasure from the suffering of others.
9. The killer was declared criminally .
10. The counsel have reminded the jury of the
A3*. Translate these sentences into Russian (10 points).
1. Johnson pleaded guilty and was sentenced to five years in prison.
2. When he was released from prison, Mandela was interviewed in Zambia.
3. This old building is the jail that Butch Cassidy escaped from in 1887.
4. 58\% of prisoners are in jail for non-violent crimes.
5. Grover got caught for not paying his taxes and went to jail.
6. The murderer served 10 years at the penitentiary in Stillwater.
7. The prison cells have doors of heavy steel.
8. The two Irishmen were in prison for five years before they were found to be innocent.
9. Sid's wife ran off with another man while he was doing time.
10. She met Schmidt while serving time in prison for drug possession.
A4. ** Match the words and their definitions (8 points)
1. parole a) a prison
b) an action that is against religious rules and is considered to be an offence against God
c) a system that allows some criminals not to go to prison if they behave well
d) permission for someone to leave prison, on the condition that they promise to behave well
e) when someone is not allowed to do their job, or take part in an activity for a period of time as a punishment
f) an act of deliberately hurting someone in order to force them to tell you something, to punish them, or to be cruel
g) a particular type of character which makes someone likely to behave or react in a certain way
h) the state of being kept in prison
A5. ** Complete the following text using the words and expressions in the box (14 points).
Commits; corporal punishment; death penalty; deprived; deterrent; fit; humane; law-abiding; pay; rehabilitation; reform; retribution; suffer; unreasonable
What is the purpose of punishment? One purpose is obviously to 1
offender, to correct the offender’s moral attitudes and anti-social behaviour
and to 2
him or her, which means to assist the offender to return to
normal life as a useful member of community.
Punishment can also be seen as a 3
because it warns other people of
what will happen if they are tempted to break the law and prevents them from doing so. However, the third purpose of punishment lies, perhaps, in
society’s desire for 4
, which basically means revenge. In other words,
don’t we feel that a wrongdoer should 5
for his misdeeds?
The form of punishment should also be considered. On the one hand, some
believe that we should “make the punishment 6
the crime”. Those who
steal from others should be 7
of their own property to ensure that
criminals are left inno doubt that crime doesn’t 8
. For those who attack
should be used. Murderers should be subject to the principle
“an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth” and automatically receive the
On the other hand, it is said that such views are 11
, cruel and barbaric
and that we should show a more 12
attitude to punishment and try to
understand why a person 13
enable him to live a respaectable, 14
a crime and how a society has failed to life.
A6. *** Odd one out (10 points)
A7*** Translate the sentances into English (10 points).
1. Преступление – это запрещенное наказуемое поведение.
2. Основная цель карательных систем Великобритании состоит в том, чтобы сдерживать потенциальных правонарушителей и перевоспитывать заключенных.
3. Многие полагают, что смертная казнь удерживает людей от совершения серьезных преступлений.
4. Отношение к тем, кто впервые совершил преступление, является ещё одним предметом обсуждения, так как такие люди нуждаются в поддержке.
5. Рассмотрев характер преступления и личность преступника, суд
может рекомендовать в качестве наказания условное освобождение.
Самые популярные книги